Tarot de Jacques Vieville -Flornoy
Jean-Claude Flornoy loving restored the Vieville tarot's 22 trumps, using the only known copy, which is preserved in the Bibliothque Nationale in Paris.
Vieville was a master card-maker in Paris who was active from 1643 to 1664. His deck varies from other Marseille in the several respects: The numbering of the trumps is different; the cards have no titles; and some trump images are radically distinct.
- Lightning card, corresponding to the Tower card: depicts a tree
- Sun card: depicts a male on horseback
- Devil card: depicts the devil walking, without the two imps
- Hanged Man card: depicts the hanged man upright
- Star card: depicts a sitting astronomer
- Moon card: depicts a sitting woman using a spindle
The late Florney was a master cartier, whose reconstituted Marseille decks are highly collectible. This deck contains only the major arcana of 22 cards, so is not suitable for full card readings. However, it is a wonderful purchase for students of tarot history and imagery.
Paris: Editions Le Tarot, 2013. 22 cards, small booklet, boxed. New.