Sweden: Trapart Books, 2017. New Paperback.
This journal, which appears roughly once a year, is one of the most important places for new occult writing and research. If you want to know what’s cutting edge as well as what’s worth revisiting from the past – you can do no better than curl up with a copy of Fenris Wolf, a pen and a notebook. Here’s when you find the occult’s top writer-practitioner-scholars sharing what they’re working on now.
This issue is centred around work presented at the 2016 London Conference ‘Psychoanalysis, Art & the Occult’, an international gathering whose reverberations are still being felt over a year on. Topics include Sigmund Freud and the Occult, Art as Alchemy, the art of John Balance, Cut-Ups as a magical and psychoanalytic tool, Maori shamanism within therapy, Animistic art, Dance as ritual, Androgynous aspects in Austin Osman Spare’s art, Salvador Dali’s meeting with Jacques Lacan, Rebis: the Double Being, David Bowie’s Non-Human Effect, similarities between ritual magic and psychoanalysis.
- Vanessa Sinclair & Carl Abrahamsson Editors’ Introduction
- Katelan Foisy Invocation: Homage to the spirits of the land/London
- Sharron Kraus Art as Alchemy
- Demetrius Lacroix The Seven Layers of the Vodou Soul
- Graham Duff Sublime Fragments: The Art of John Balance
- Ken Henson The American Occult Revival In My Work
- Gary Lachman Was Freud Afraid of the Occult?
- Peter Grey Fly the Light
- Val Denham Proclaim Present Time Over
- Katelan Foisy & Vanessa Sinclair The Cut In Creation
- Claire-Madeline Culkin Beds, Bodies and Other Books of Common Prayer – A Reading of the Photography of Nan Goldin
- Steven Reisner On the Dance of the Occult and Unconscious in Freud
- Katy Bohinc The 12th House: Art and the Unconscious
- Olga Cox Cameron When Shall We 3 Meet Again? Psychoanalysis, Art and the Occult: A Clandestine Convergence
- Ingo Lambrecht Wairua: Following shamanic contours in psychoanalytic therapy at a Māori Mental Health Service in New Zealand
- Elliott Edge An Occult Reading of PAO! Imagining in the Dark with Our Vestigial Shamanism in a Shade, Shadow, Wide
- Charlotte Rodgers Stripped to the Core: Animistic Art Action and Magickal Revelation
- Alkistis Dimech Dynamics of the Occulted Body
- Fred Yee Cut-Up As Egregore, Oracle and Flirtation Device
- Robert Ansell Androgyny, Biology and Latent Memory in the Work of Austin Osman Spare
- Ray O Neill Double, Double, Toil and Trouble: Psychoanalysis Burn and Surrealism Bubble
- Derek M Elmore Dreams and the Neither-Neither
- Julio Mendes Rodrigo Rebis, the Double Being
- Eve Watson Bowie’s Non-Human Effect: Alien/Alienation in The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) and The Hunger (1983)
- Carl Abrahamsson Formulating the Desired: Some similarities between ritual magic and the psychoanalytic process